Hello, beautiful readers!
Your mental health influences how you think, feel, and act daily. It also influences your ability to cope with stressors, handle your emotions, and manage your feelings. Anyone can struggle with their mental health but there are ways to elevate your mood and enjoy the little things in life. Here are 3 strategies to help you accomplish this:
1. Prioritize socialization
Face-to-face interaction with friends and loved ones is stress-busting and mood-boosting. Find someone in your life who is a good listener to share your thoughts and feelings. A good listener will validate your feelings and won’t judge, criticize, or interrupt you.
Tips for connecting with others:
- Call a friend or loved one and arrange to meet up
- Spend some time disconnected – step away from your computer/phone screen for a little while to nurture your real-life relationships
- Don’t be afraid to make new connections
2. Learn how to manage your stress
Stress takes a heavy toll on your mental and emotional health. (As I type this, I’m glancing anxiously at my never-ending calendar of due dates.) It is important to keep stress under control to stay healthy.
- Make leisure time a priority
- Take up a relaxing hobby (For example: Journaling, jogging, meditation)
- Talk to a friendly face
3. Don’t skimp on sleep
Getting enough sleep each night is critical for your health. Skimping on even a few hours per night can take a toll on your energy, emotions, and ability to handle stress. Adults should aim for 7-9 hours of sleep each night.
Tips for getting better sleep:
- Calm the mind and prepare the body for sleep by taking a bath, listening to soft music, or lighting your favourite scented candle
- Stick to a regular sleep-wake cycle to help set your body’s internal clock
- Make sure your bedroom is dark, cool, and quiet
What strategies do you use to boost your mental health and wellness?